Sunday, July 7, 2024

Nasruddin in the Big City

I'm pretty sure I've seen this as a Nasruddin story, but I adapted my story here from a version I found in a jokebook about a country-bumpkin who goes to the big city.
Nasruddin and his son were visiting their relatives in the big city. 
"Let's go for a walk, son," said Nasruddin, and so they did.
Strolling down the boulevard, they came to a fancy hotel and decided to take a look inside. As they were admiring their reflections in a pair of shiny metal doors, an old woman walked up and pressed a button; the doors opened, she stepped inside, and then the doors closed.
Imagine their surprise a few minutes later when the doors opened, and a beautiful young woman stepped out.
"Son," whispered Nasruddin, "go get your mother! Now!"
Of course, Nasruddin is wrong about what the elevator is for... but he knows what he would do with this magical machine if it really worked the way he thinks it does! There is also an elaborate version of this in the "Wise Men of Chelm" tradition which involves the man thinking that his wife turned into a cat; I'll save that version for a different post.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts only (to reduce spam). You can always find me at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady