Sunday, July 7, 2024

The Quarrel of Nasruddin and His Wife

Again, this is adapted from a modern jokebook about a generic husband and wife, but it seemed perfect for Nasruddin who is so good with words. I made up something for them to quarrel about which relates to another Nasruddin story, when he teaches his donkey to fly (the results are not good); the original joke was just a one-liner.
"No, my husband!" shouted Nasruddin's wife. "Donkeys cannot fly. If they could fly, we would have seen them fly. But I've never seen a donkey flying."
"That proves nothing. By your logic, the pyramids of Egypt do not exist because you have never seen them. Of course the pyramids exist, and of course donkeys can fly."
"No, they can't!"
"Yes, they can!"
And so they argued back and forth until finally Nasruddin said, "Let's be reasonable, my dear. We'll meet halfway."
"What does that mean?" his wife asked, suspicious.
"I'll admit you're wrong," said Nasruddin, "if you'll admit I'm right!"
As for Nasruddin and the flying donkey, here is that story: Nasruddin's Flying Donkey.



No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are limited to Google accounts only (to reduce spam). You can always find me at Twitter: @OnlineCrsLady